Saturday 17 March 2012

Exam Project - In Depth Analysis - Rankin

This in-depth analysis is about a project Rankin has done called 'destroy' where he selects images he has taken and then 'destroys' into interesting experiments and end results. He's also worked with companies like Nike, Women's Aid, Breakthrough breast cancer, Rolling Stone and Wonderland.  In late 200, Rankin published the heteroclite quarterly rank, an experimental anti fashion magazine. Then in 2001, he launched another fashion magazine. He photographed from the Queen of England to the Queen of Pop. His first winning major campaign was Doves 'Real Women'. He has also published over 30 books and exhibits his work over New York and Los Angels. Also has a number of documentaries, one including ' Shooting with the Stars'. He lives in London with his wife and son. This specific project 'destroy' could link to fashion photography and how we are constantly bombarded with perfect images and with this project we are seen them cut up, moved in places, scribbled over etc. This project shows that a photograph can then be turned into a piece of art.

The second images was my chosen image to do an in-depth analysis on as I find is quite interesting. I like the composition of the photography and how it has been cut into thin stripes and then pieced back together along with another image of herself. It looks quite clever as this was a random design but also you can see it has been cleverly thought through and designed perfectly in order to make this effect. This image doesn't look like a lot of material were made and just got two images of the models and cut into thin strip and because back together in a certain way so we see a pattern of her face. Putting the models eye in the middle gives it a centre piece of the image and draws you in to the middle, then you see the sharpness of all the other colour like the dark hair and the light skin all centred by her light blue eyes.

I would associate this piece of art work with fashion photography and portraiture. I also think that Rankin was trying express that an image doesn't have to be perfect all the time in order to be attractive and used his examples to symbolise that. It could also be about having fun with an image and not knowing how it is going to turn out and then to appreciate the final outcome. It is symbolic to the opposites of perfect air brush images we see everyday in the magazines. As you look through the website you can see that many people are involved including celebrating coming together to destroy their images. The theme would be 'destroy'.

This image evoked my visual senses as the image is muddled and placed everywhere and is exciting for me to look at but the same time the eyes around the middle draw me in. When I first went to look for an image to give and example of Rankin's project these was one of the firs images I saw. I then went on to look further for some but couldn't coming back to this one. I think I like this one more as it has an edgy effect. What came to my head when I first saw the images was a collage of newspapers. Out of all the images I've seen this is my favourite one as it's original and I haven't seen anything like it before.

No comments:

Post a Comment