Wednesday 9 January 2013

Personal Project - Indepth Analysis - Tin Tin Cooper



This art work is from a woman called Tin Tin Cooper. She came from Bangkok and currently works there also alternating from London. She studied at school in Bangkok, and recently completed her masters in London. I think this work relates to contemporary photography in the technique she using of combining two of the same image together and placing it around in different ways. I think this is a good way of highlight and being selective in what you want the audience to see. By doing the photographic weaving it distorts the image and gives an abstract effect.

For this images, stripes have been cut out of the images and the slits into the image it will be weaved into and then out together. Cooper has then played around with where she puts the slits and created different patterns such as diagonal lines, criss cross pattern etc. I think the arrangement of the image is different and interesting on the image. I particularly like the second image of the face  masked out.

I think that the images have been posed and then Cooper has thought about the end result and what she doesn't want the audience to see and then has weaved into those places . I think to make this image she needed the camera she took the photographs, these look like digital. She then need a ruler to measure out her lines, and the need a cutting knife, a cutting board and some scissors to cut out her strips. She would then have to weave her strips into the slits she had made.

I really like this piece of work as it allows to be creative with your images. If you took an image of somebody that wasn't ready for the image, or the pose wasn't exactly right, you could use this technique to mask it and make it look more interesting. I also think by doing this, you could change the whole meaning of the image and give it a completely different look.

Cooper has inspired me to do my own photo weaving as I feel it gives complexity to your images.

No comments:

Post a Comment