Wednesday 25 April 2012

This image was created by a lady called Laura Horne. Information I found about her is from her blog she created. She is currently a student at university of Derby. She likes different types of photography such as fashion photography, documentary photography and architectural photography. I decided to look at this artist as I was originally looking at relationships,. I was then researching through the internet I came across this. It caught my attention as her images are really contrasty which is something I also enjoying doing to my images. I was particulary interested in her ''hand photography'' images, this  has inspired for my own work with hands and with relationships in mind, how we communicate through our hands and sometimes we don't need words.

I really like the way the contrasting black and white colour really make the hands the focus of the image, it gives it a sense of simplicity, but depth at the same time. Also, the black and white gives it a strong emotion, where the lighter colour on the hands, symbolic of warmth. I think this image was probably taken on a digital SLR then edited on Photoshop. I would like the adopt this technique and try convert it into my original image using some of the same techniques e.g high contrast, black and white using a film SLR camera.

I think you could associate this image with many things, you could assume that two people's hands coming together for comfort, and could symbolise that a way of people connecting with one another. A way of communicating with someone how you feel, whether your happy or sad. This also could be one person bringing their hands together in hope, a defence mechanism with comforting yourself. This also symbolise religion, using your hands for prayer. This image is open to interpretation and would depend on the person you are, as there is a range of feelings and emotions you could get from the image and how this person/or people was feeling at the time. It definitely captures emotion.

This images doesn't really provoke much senses which is something I would be interesting to experiment with.  When I first looked at this images I thought of the weather. It reminds me when you're cold and you are trying to warm up, the second reason why it drew my attention is the striking colours from the high contrast which resulted in my researching into it more. I really like this piece it's something I thought was very visually interesting and I particularly like images to can provoke you feeling a certain way towards it. I also think sometimes less is much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment