Monday 18 March 2013

Exam Unit - Darkroom Experiments

As you can see it's a bit dark,  as there was no filter on. This was a solar effect done
for 3,0 seconds, 5,7 aperture, no filter solared for 2,0 seconds.

This is an image of negatives put together, i halved the exposure time which was 3,0 and then slighting moved my paper to get a quite distorted effect. I also put a handmade negative on top of the paper before exposing it, This had vaseline and salt of top of it to give a much textured effect. 

Again here this a double exposure of two negatives combined together, I found that this really worked well as the two light images would not appear on there own. 4,0 seconds, 5,7 aperture 5,0 filter. 

This is an negative I used before with a handmade negative put
over the top. I put the filter not this time to bring up as much contrast as I could.
I felt this really helped this image.
4,0 seconds, 5,0 filter, 5,7 aperture.  

This is an experiment where again I have used double exposure and put one slightly lower
(as you can lighting see the holes from the edge of the negative). I also put a handmade negative in the negative carrier on top on the two negative. I really wanted to create layers here and Ive felt that I have achieved this.
5,0 seconds, 5,7 aperture, 5,0 filter 

This is a double exposure moved after half the exposure time, I also put washing up liquid
onto of my photo paper to created the technique photo batik. I really like this image as you can slightly
see through the liquid. I think by putting the liquid on top it gave the image more texture. To improve this image i would adjust the times where you can see the image behind a lot more.

Double exposure moved halved the time. 5,0 seconds, 5,0 filer, 5,7 aperture.
I really like the way this image has been giving an illusion effect, with the image I used with the bridge dark and the lights, I found this effect has particularly worked well with this technique

This  image is of different negative double exposed and slightly moved half way through exposure time, To take it a step further I put a handmade negative on top of the negatives in the carrier, exposed for 4,0 seconds , 5,7 aperture, 5,0 filter, I then put in the developer, as soon as the image starts to appear put it back under the light for a second and back into the developer.  This is the solarisation effect.

double exposure, 4,0 seconds, 5,7 aperture, 5,0 filter. Again been moved half way  through exposure time.


Half way through exposure time I turned the paper around to get this upside down effect.
5,0 seconds, 5,0 filter, 5,7 aperture. 


upside double exposure, with a handmade negative on top containing salt.
4,0 seconds, 5,7 aperture, 5,0 filter 


A combination of all techniques, double exposure, 5,0 seconds,5,7 aperture, 5,0 filter, liquid and vaseline on top of the image technique called photo batik, with handmade negative also put on top. 4,0 seconds, 5,7 aperture, 5,0 filter

Original 5,0 filter, 5,7 aperture, 4,0 seconds


Here is a roll of film I shooted in the dark at Southbank that didn't really turn out that well. I also used exhausted  developer therefore this effected my negatives. I then decided that I wasn't going to not use them and go into the darkroom and see what experiments I could create. I used many techniques such as double exposures, hand made negatives, solarisation,photo batik, dodging and burning, highlighting and being selective. I then wanted to really push myself and start to layer up these techniques and see the outcome. I really enjoyed experimenting in the darkroom today and using different techniques to get an abstract effect. I felt by doing this, I really enhanced the images what used to very dark and not really usable.

No comments:

Post a Comment