Monday 29 April 2013

Exam Project - Indepth Analysis - Tracey Emin

''My Bed'' - 1998 


Tracey Emin is a British artist from croydon, born 3rd July 1963. She is also a part of Young British Artists. She uses her own life events as inspiration for her work. She studied at Maidstone College of Art and the Royal College of Art, London. Later that year, she was a Turner Prize nominee and exhibited ''My Bed'' - an installation, consisting of her own unmade dirty bed with used condoms and blood-stained underwear. She has exhibited extensively internationally including solo and group exhibitions in Holland, Germany, Japan, Australia and America. I think that this work relates to life issue like social and cultural society like students. I think the meaning is immediately obvious to you of the dirty, grotty scene. For the object in the photograph, you can tell the events that went on inside the bed.

The photograph has been framed where the bed in central, this enforces that this is the main focus of the image, the composition makes the image more dramatic and ''in your face''. Her composition of the objects inside the image are very important and really impact the end result. I think that the objects were designed in a way to look like they were randomly placed there but in actual fact the artist has placed them there. She wanted it look messy and grotty and I think that she has done this effectively. Overall I think the arrangement of the objects is really relevant to the theme and has really captured the essence of the real atmosphere but the story of the artists life before this.

I think this photograph was planned before hand. I think that all the object were placed carefully in a way they would be photographed in the best way. This is an installation so I think there was no photo editing atall done to this and was probably taken on a basic camera. No work was done on Photoshop.

I think that this work is really dramatic but I find that there is something really relevant about it. I think that this a probably realistic image of most students/young people bedrooms. I think that this artwork could also symbolise mind state, wondering what the person was thinking at the time, what were they going through to have the crazy rebellious lifestyle at that point, was there other things going on? I really like this image as it makes me want to know more about the person and whats going on in there life?I think that the artist was trying to put across that something so dirty could actually visually interesting. Words that describe about this work would be; interested, confused, curious and suspicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment