Monday 15 April 2013

Exam Unit - Exam Review



The two starting points that I chose were 'Everyday Life' and 'Inner Character'. I wanted to look at being figurative as I had seen this in the past and was really interesting in this. I also like the dressed up classic poses such as 'Marylin Monroe'. I started to look through pinterest at other examples of these. I found many I wanted to recreate myself. Concentrating on extreme artificial lighting and soft focus. I also came across other work I was interesting that tied in with both starting points. I found an artist who took natural shots of people in their environment. These were quite urban areas displaying the people who live there and there emotion towards it. 

At first my idea was set on doing an inspired marylin monroe shot being very pretty and precise. When I started looking at other work I started to get interested in the images that were accidently taken or don't looked so designed. I wanted to use the same technique that inflazeno latif did, but try and reflect what the person is thinking in the picture and try create different effects like trying to show sadness, depression, excitement, worry, etc. By trying this myself using a digital camera, I really like the effects and the feedback from my classmate at looking at something more complex and having to think. I really like that my audience may be thinking what happened to my model before this image, what were they thinking at the time, what happened to them, what's there story? These thought provoking question makes the series of images exciting. 


With negatives that didn't work properly I decided to take them and experiment with them. I use may technique I have used before such as multi exsposure, photo batik, handmade negatives, solarisation. I wanted to take these a step further and layer them up and see what would happen. I particualry like my image with multi exspoure as I like the distorted effect i gives which goes well with my theme. A technique that doesn't really work for me is using food colouring. I find that when it doesn't dry really well on the prints and gives it streaks and can become quite blotchy. I wont progress with this technique as I don't like the results of this.

I really want to develop the combination printing, I've tried a little bit but it is hard to get the prints exact matching and not make the print com up black in some parts. I need to practice this and develop it further. I really want to concentrate on filters and produce really high contrast photographs which is what is preferred to me. 

I have really been influenced by inzajeano latif, his realistic approach to photographing people and their environment, I have taken on board myself the same attitude in taking my photographs.

My exam plan for the next two weeks is research different ways of presentation, I really want to visually excite people with my work so need to research other people who i think does this. I also need to carry on experimenting - seeing what works, what doesn't, how to enhance the images best I can. Then start during up mini exam outcomes. Maybe time myself? Also figure a plan of what I actually want to achieve whilst in the exam.

No comments:

Post a Comment